Thursday, February 19, 2009

if every fool held a bauble, fuel would be dear


writing in the morning with tobacco & a cup of coffee is good, but it's not great. it's better to write in the night, with the night spirits guiding you. i write best after i've had a couple of lorazepams and several glasses of either chianti or german wine. heinekens help too, and maybe a tall glass of strong drink, like rum and coke or wild turkey.

anyway, the above mentioned concoctions i consider my muses. hemingway said he never wrote drunk, but for me it seems best this way... too much consciousness has always been the bane of my verse(s). it's better to write w/o thinking too much. in other words, semi-consciousness is the way. or one way. it's best to go back and forth. that way you have two minds instead of just one. both of which speak to each other.

bourbon and coke

out of the hustling hours and
into the ripe delicious languor
of my room i collapse upon
my couch, in a perfume of
frankincense and huddled
between these sumptuously
gasping walls, obscene flowers
of pinkish light spout from a
tiny lamp... the air is bathed
in damp indolence as the
voice of the city washes over
me its vague drooling waves
of purple thought... to which
i am wholly indifferent, and
wholly drunk, having come
here again, away from all the
dire pleasure beasts... away
from my hatreds, fears &
daily agonies, i fall deep into
the warmth of this solitude...
where deities mostly
dance, and night spirits open
unto me
the rare doors of perfect bliss


See ~ Underground Voices April '09

No comments: