Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sandwich Board



i was talking to my mom today, and she told me she had this great idea for me. she said some guy wrote some songs about the economy & a few other current events and received a huge response when he put his garble on you tube... she said i should do the same thing with my poetry/writing.

"people would probably love it," she said, "especially when they see your goodlooking face...etc., etc..."(a face only a mother could love???)
"it doesn't sound like a bad idea," i said. "the only thing is, it sounds like a lot of shameless selfpromotion, which i hate."
"well everything's about shameless selfpromotion these days... you have to put yourself out there... get people to notice you... that's the only way you'll ever make any $$..."
"mom," i said. "if i was in it for the money, i would've gone out long ago and bought a sandwich board and stood out in traffic on biscayne blvd to promote my 'works.' trust me...art for money's sake = art beshitting itself, every time."

anyway, that's what I'm up against where my family is concerned. my dad's always wanted me to be the next Mickey Spillane (who once wrote a novel in what two days i'm told?), and my brother's first question when i told him i have some stuff being published in some pretty good mags pretty soon was how much
(did you
pay
them?)

"I have no fans. You know what I got? Customers. And customers are your friends." ~ M. Spillane

here's (1) poem...

Don't Call Me Frisco

See: Underground Voices ~ April '09

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some may feel squeamish about eating it, but rabbit has a fan base that grows as cooks discover how easy they are to raise — and how good the meat tastes.

M.P. Powers said...

Thanks for being the first to comment on my messageboard. My comments aren't easy to find because one must click the individual post to get to them... sorry for taking a month to get back to you... anyway, I concur with what you say about rabbits, but have you ever tried "Welsh Rare-bit" as a substitute? It's a frozen delicacy and you would think it hasenpfeffer if not for the tricky wordplay. It's really just glorified bread. I sometimes wonder if my writing is just glorified bread...

M.P. Powers said...

p.s. what do you think of hareskin, as in the trousers?