Tuesday, February 10, 2009

morning revision...




Here's the cleaned up version of whatever it was (?) I posted last night...

I started late at the literature game. I never read any fiction until I was about 22. And I didn't begin writing until I was 25. And I didn't take my writing seriously until several years after that. I graduated from Florida State with a Business Marketing degree. I majored in business because I wasn't interested in anything else & and it seemed like an easy enough degree to slide my way through. One of my mistakes was that I listened to what my parents said: "You need to have a degree... even if you don't plan on using it, you'll always have something to fall back on." It seemed like good advice at the time, but of course I didn't know myself back then. If I did I would've been more skeptical about my guidance counselors, and especially about my dad when he said "there's no money in an English degree!" He was right of course, but money's a fool's game when it takes the place of what truly interests you. And if I had lived by that "maxim" (e.g. fifteen yrs. ago) I wouldn't be thinking about this one now:

"You'll be old and you never lived, and you kind of feel silly to lie down and die and to never have lived, to have been a job chaser and never have lived." ~ Gertrude Stein

No comments: