Saturday, July 7, 2007

Observation Makes Art Real


(/\.) The paintings I post in here relate either subtly, obviously, or in no way at all to what I write, but I like looking at them more than I do photos (especially of myself - there's nothing more crass and vain than filling your blog up w/ pics of yourself - writing about yourself is vain enough).

"We speak little if not egged on by vanity." ~François de la Rochefoucauld

Anyway, I spent about five hours last summer at the Art Institute of Chicago looking at Picassos, Toulouse-Lautrecs, Van Goghs, etc., and it wasn't enough. My girlfriend had to drag me out of the place.

"Nothing exists until or unless it is observed. An artist is making something exist by observing it. And his hope for other people is that they will also make it exist by observing it. I call it "creative observation." -- Burroughs

No comments: